Thursday, April 9, 2009

Help for the Satirically Illiterate

Does anyone know what satire is, or have has everyone forgotten. Merriam Webster defines Satire as trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly. You know, showing people how absurd their actions or statements are by being equally absurd in my response or statement. I know it’s difficult to do in less than 140 characters in a text, but I enjoy employing this tool. The problem is people don’t get it. I thought it was me for awhile, but having had this conversation with a good friend, I realize it’s not all me, and I like that. He helped me realize that it may be me, but more than likely it’s people who take themselves, their opinions, and their pontifications on those opinions way, way, way, way, way, way, way to seriously.

So I say to you all, stop reading the worst possible tones into every written communication on the Internet, and lighten up. YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS.

We can end Satire Illiteracy in our lifetimes, one overly intense Internet discussion at a time.

Man that felt good, tim

1 comment:

  1. Is this Tim Hall from TCCA? I ran across this blog through some random facebook link. This is Cynthia (Starnes). I see you still have your sense of humor ;)
    Hope you and Becca and the family are doing well! Feel free to search for me on facebook. My email is cynthia@athensguy.com.

    ReplyDelete